Tuesday 30 July 2013

Raddi-Daan - A True Investments For a Better Tomorrow

My door bell rang. I opened the door and found few children standing with piles of new papers in hand.

"Madam, if you wish to donate your old news papers for a good cause, you may give it to us instead of Kabadia." one kid told me.

I became a bit curious and called the kids inside. One of them was a grown up kid of about 13-14. I started inquiring about this  new concept.

"We have started a new concept called 'Raddi-daan' in our society. (Raddi means old news papers and 'Daan' means alms) We will be collecting all the old news papers from the society, sell it to Kabadiya. From the sale proceeds, we will be purchasing various Books and distribute to under-previledged children at various Aashrams.

We have been guided by a group of Senior Citizens who will be supervising the entire process. The society office has allotted us a temporary space to keep the old news papers.

We will be happy if you support our cause by donating old news papers to us.

I was so happy to learn this new concept of 'Raddi-Daan' and immediately handed over my old news papers to them.

Not only the news papers, I also gave them lots of chocolates for the noble cause they are doing at such a young age.

And with this I recollected the mail I received from Indiblogger 'If Newton never told anybody about the law of gravity, if Edison would have only lit his own house, the world would have remained untouched by their brilliant ideas and minds. Powerful ideas of today are the true investments for a better tomorrow.'

Inspiring Speech by Ms. Rohini Nilekani and The Idea Caravan




 
 (Image courtesy : Prathambooks.org)

This gave me an idea to write a post on 'The Idea Caravan' contest partnered by Indiblogger and Franklin Templeton Investments. Since I had already viewed the videos on youtube, I could connect immediately with Ms.Rohini Nilekani, Founder Chairperson of Pratham Books. I was also inspired by their mission of 'A book in every child's hand'.

By taking lot of inspiration from Ms.Rohini Nilekani, I planned to join the 'Raddi-daan' Gang. I am sure we will raise lots of funds from the activity and buy books from Pratham for underprivileged children.

Franklin Templeton Investments partnered the TEDxGateway Mumbai in December 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment